Brutalist Pool Series 2 Massimo Colonna
The architectural concept of ‘Brutalism’ has been making somewhat of a comeback in recent times as interest in this structural style and the ideology that underpinned it increases. Its dramatic fall from fashionable grace from the early 80s on, however, led it to become the most reviled structural aesthetic in any urban landscape with few lamenting its demolition and demise. The word ‘Brutalist’ itself interestingly does not derive from its forbidding appearance but rather from the words ‘Béton brut’‘ meaning ‘raw concrete’, and its rise in 1950s post-war Europe stems from the most unimpeachably high-minded principles of social utopianism and as such was the style employed to construct shared institutions like libraries, government buildings, theatres, schools, and affordable housing projects. It epitomised a forward-looking confidence in the future and in some ways was the logical conclusion of the modernist ideal which sought to eliminate unnecessary adornment and celebrate the materials of construction themselves; concrete, steel, and glass. But the style fell from favour for several reasons, its austere nature, and its association with totalitarianism, with crime, social deprivation and urban decay and finally because often they simply didn’t age well with crumbling buildings becoming discoloured and damaged.
- Printed on Fine Art Rag paper – 100% cotton fibre based paper made to high quality archival standards
- Acid and Lingin free
- pH buffered
- 340 gsm
- White or Black frame (Frame is 6cm thick and 2.5cm at the front)
- White border
- Frame available in black or white. If you would prefer this without the white border and the image to fill the frame please get in touch at [email protected].
- Flat rate shipping charged at $20
- Please allow up to 21 working days for production and delivery.
Subscribe to our emails
Sign up to our mailing list and receive the latest news in exceptional design from around the globe, see our newest product arrivals, and receive exclusive offers from The Cool Hunter.